Monday, December 16, 2013

My Studio Ghibli Stamps


Yesterday I posted a tutorial on how to hand carve stamps, and today I thought I'd share a few of the stamps I've made. As a huge Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki fan I found a lot of inspiration in movies like My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away. So many amazing characters, and visually so stunning! Oh, how I wish I could draw like that!!! :) 

These stamps are obviously a bit more complicated than the one I made for the tutorial, but the principle is the same. The stamp above of Chihiro from Spirited Away is without a doubt my favorite hand carved stamp. Getting the little details right was such a challenge, and I actually had to start over from scratch after messing up her eyes during my first attempt... 

Here's a look at the stamp itself:


As a huge perfectionist carving out stamps is very challenging. To make a stamp is not difficult at all, but to make a flawless stamp... well, that's a whole different story! The materials are so unforgiving: making one tiny mistake can completely screw up your stamp. 

I had a lot of fun making these stamps though and I love all of them so much! 

No Face from Spirited Away:



Jiji, from Kiki's Delivery Service:


And of course: Totoro from My Neighbor Totoro! :)


Awww... Seeing these makes me want to create more of them!!! Love Ghibli so much :)


Hope you enjoyed my Studio Ghibli stamps! If you feel like making your own hand carved stamp, you can check out my tutorial here.

1 comment: